As a recruitment consultant at Darcy Associates, I still struggle resourcing for positions that require Safety Critical Medicals. Whilst I understand it has never been a big requirement, times are changing. More contractors than ever are requiring Safety Critical workers to operate plant machinery on most building sites including carrying out rail and road works and even in confined spaces.
While many will see the Safety Critical Medical as a deterrent there will soon be no option but to get checked. It is quite quickly becoming the norm for Health & Safety on site to prevent injuries and avoid accidents that can be caused by ill health. In simple terms, if an operative lost consciousness while operating a 35 tonne Excavator, ADT or a Dozer - the results could be catastrophic which makes operating machinery a safety critical position.
Some of the positions within the construction are recognized as Safety Critical and a small amount of information and these include:
- All mobile plant operators
- High-speed road workers
- Rail track side workers
- Asbestos licensed operatives
- Tunnelers, or those working in a confined space
- Tasks carried out at heights
- Others as identified by the risk assessment process
- Sudden loss of consciousness
- Impairment of awareness or concentration
- Sudden incapacity
- Impairment of balance or co-ordination
- Significant limitation of mobility